A blog for better streets and public spaces in Portland, Maine.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Breaking News for Streets Geeks

I just spoke with City Councilor Kevin Donoghue, who tells me that Portland will retain the consulting firm Nelson\Nygaard for the Peninsula Mobility Study.

This plan, which will hopefully correct the gross inadequacies and failures of last year's auto-focused "Peninsula Traffic Plan," will begin to take shape this winter, possibly as soon as December.

The articles section of Nelson\Nygaard's website has a few items on liberalizing socialized parking systems, and one of their "featured projects" is a transportation master plan for Trenton, NJ (a city roughly the same size as Portland).

I've been nominated to be the second district representative to the study's advisory taskforce, and I'll plan to share all that I can on this blog as we proceed.

No comments: