John Brooking, the founder of the Portland Bike Commuters' Meetup Group, will be leading a 3-part introductory course on how to cycle safely and confidently on busy roads.
In this three hours of fun you will train your bike to perform at low speed, at high speed and in emergency situations.
You will teach your bike to behave:
You will teach your bike to be frisky at high speed:
- As you start and stop correctly
- Stop without putting a foot down
- Maneuver with precision at low speeds
- Communicate with the drivers behind you
- Race sloooowly
You will teach your bike to get you out of trouble
- Use your gears efficiently to accelerate
- Avoid obstacles with the rock dodge
- Dance through a slalom course
- Corner with precision
- Snap turn 90° in a 4ft radius
- Stop on a dime ~ without going over the handlebars
The full course also includes these future classes:
The truth and techniques of traffic cycling (3 hrs):
Classroom session. Discover that bicycling is very safe and that with a few simple techniques, you can make your own cycling virtually conflict-free.
Tour of Portland (3.5 hrs):*
On-road tour. We will show you simple strategies to eliminate obstacles and ride with ease and confidence in places you might never have thought possible. *requires completion of previous 2 classes
A la carte session $30/each; full course package $75. Register online here.